A Different Way of Immigrating to Canada – the Live-in Caregiver Program

A different way of immigrating to Canada is through the Live-in Caregiver Program. The Live-in Caregiver Program allows qualified individuals to apply for permanent residence in Canada while living and working in Canada.

This article is not legal advice, but rather is merely informational. It is accurate as of November 20, 2005.

The basic rules are simple: you need a certain amount of schooling, you must have educational or practical experience as a caregiver, you must have had work offered to you in Canada as a live-in caregiver, and you need a certain understanding of English or French. If you are reading this article, it appears that your English is good enough to qualify.

A “live-in caregiver” means that you work and reside in the home in which you are providing care. The Live-in Caregiver Program was developed due to the shortage of Canadians available or willing to work in such a job, and therefore the market was opened to international workers.

After two years of employment as a live-in caregiver within three years of arriving in Canada, you may apply for a permanent residence through paying the proper fees and completing and submitting the appropriate forms.

In 2003, it was reported that 1,074 permanent residents in Canada were drawn from the Live-in Caregiver Program. This number includes not only the live-in caregivers themselves, but also their spouses and dependants.

The Live-in Caregiver Program may be recommended for those who want work experience in Canada, or for those who are unable to qualify for immigrate to Canada through the Family Class or Skilled Worker Class.